Monday, January 12, 2009

Evaluating our Assurance

In Sunday School yesterday, Pastor Jim explained four standards that we ought to use when we examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith. Simple and yet so true and so edifying! I strongly encourage you to listen to it here!

1. Am I believing on and trusting in Jesus and His work on behalf of sinners?

2. Am I bearing the fruit of new life in Christ?

3. Do I have the witness of the Spirit of adoption by which I know I am a child of God?

4. Am I persevering in the Way?


1 Comments:

At January 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marie--good stuff!
That first one is interesting to me, because in experience I've found it to be absolutely essential and yet sometimes also problematic (as I guess all testing of assurance is!)

It is essential because if one's trust is in anyone or thing besides the person and work of Christ as He is presented to us by the Word, that person is lost. But it is problematic because the most truly assuring and sanctifying examination is one that looks honestly at self yet quickly brings what is found to Jesus. He is our hope. I've found that examining our faith directly *can* build false assurance in the lost or despair in the saved... just my 2 cents :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home