Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Two Sermons on the Power of the Word

Wow...has it really been a full week since my last blog post??? Where has the time gone? Resolved: Never let that happen again (Lord willing, of course)!

Here is a link to an excellent sermon I heard in chapel several weeks ago on not emptying the cross of its power by relying on our own power instead of God's Word:

"Power in Preaching: Decide"- Dr. Raymond Ortlund, Jr.

1 Cor. 2:1-5 "And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."

I was reminded of this sermon when my own pastor cited these verses last Lord's Day. A great reminder from Acts 4:1-4 that God's Word does not return void, that it accomplishes what it was sent to do, and that whenever it is preached, everyone who hears does indeed respond, either with rejection or reception!

"Christ, Rejected and Received!"- Jim Savastio

Acts 4:1-4 "Now as they spoke to the people, the priests, the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees came upon them, being greatly disturbed that they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them, and put them in custody until the next day, for it was already evening. However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home